Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January's Lucky Stars Blocks

I finished my first paper pieced blocks for the Lucky Stars Block of the Month- and I have to say, they were harder than I thought!  I like the way they came out in the end, but man, they took me a while to perfect.   
Lucky Stars BOM - January and Bonus


It didn't take me too long to catch onto the paper piecing technique, which is fun except for the excessive amounts of scraps I seem to end up with (I tried to eyeball the blocks and cut smaller pieces, but after sewing and flipping a half dozen times only to discover I had shortchanged the size, I gave up and cut them according to the directions).
Lucky Stars BOM - January and Bonus
Not even a fraction of all the scraps I created...
The biggest problem I had was with the centers which just didn't line up right.  I found a few tutorials online and tried the suggestion of putting a pin in the center and sewing from there outside in either direction.  That evened up the center, but then I had to go back and re-align some of the outer seams.  Biggest lesson: starch starch starch!  Things went a lot easier on the January block when I heavily starched right off the bat to keep the bias from creating too much stretch.  


Lucky Stars BOM - January and Bonus
On the left are the yucky center seams, and the right they are somewhat fixed.
These took a lot longer for me to make than I thought they would, but there was a lot of trial and error involved.  I'm looking forward to February when I can hopefully put all these lessons to good use.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment